"Robertstown War Memorial Community Centre Inc"

"History"

 

The Community Centre grew from a need. 

The plan was conceived by Mr. John Roberts and he and his wife, Jean fostered the idea over many years.

A strong Committee was involved, which included member's of the Armstrongs, Farleys, Pfitzners, Moseys, Ruedigers, Friebels & other families.

The Robertstown War Memorial Community Centre was established after World War 2 and the building was to serve as a War Memorial to the local men who served their country, with the land was donated by Mr. Wm. Roberts.

comcent-roberts-plaq.JPG (41632 bytes)

The plaque to acknowledge the donation of Mr. Roberts  

comcent-plaq-ww2.JPG (75877 bytes)

The plaque acknowledging those who served during World War2

The first stage of the Centre, was the provision of playground equipment. This was situated on the block of land, which fronts New St.

comcent-playground.JPG (76655 bytes)

The playground as it is today

 

comcent-playnorthsouth.JPG (75690 bytes)

A view looking from North to South

comcent-playeastwest.JPG (77312 bytes)

A view looking from East to West

The foundations for the building, was mainly done by Volunteer's and Mr. F W Schuppan, a local builder was responsible for the erection at a cost of 4784 pounds or $9568. 

The Foundation stone was laid by Mr. Glen Hawkes of Koonoona on the 11th March 1955 and the building was officially opened by the then Premier of South Australia, Mr. Thomas Playford on 30th January 1956.

Mrs. W Roberts & Mrs. A J Farley who served the district for many years with nursing home facilities and visiting Doctors, where they used 2 rooms for waiting & consulting. It also housed the "District Council of Robertstown" with 2 offices, a Ladies Rest room together with a kitchenette. For some years, it was used by the Eudunda Police, who visited Robertstown on a weekly basis.

comcent-stone.JPG (78307 bytes)

The Foundation Stone

commcent-dcrt-sign.jpg (17498 bytes)

Identification of the "District Council of Robertstown" that was placed on the wall.

With the amalgamation of the District Council's of Robertstown, Eudunda, Burra Burra & Hallett on 3rd February 1997, the office was still used for several years and it was eventually closed in 1999.

 

Robertstown Community Centre

Community Groups

 

These pages best viewed at 800x600 and high-colour, using Internet Explorer 4.01 SP1 and above or Netscape 4.06 and above.
Last modified: May 10, 2014
Copyright 2002

Index Page